Creech Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Home News Photos Art Library Units Questions Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > Creech Air Force Base

CREECH AIR FORCE BASE

Posted 5/16/2013 Printable Fact Sheet

On June 20, 2005, Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field officially changed its name to Creech Air Force Base in honor of Gen. Wilbur L. "Bill" Creech. As the commander of Tactical Air Command from 1978 to 1984, General Creech shaped the Air Force of today with a call for new weapons and tactics. He revolutionized the Air Force by espousing a philosophy of decentralized authority and responsibility. He was also known as the "father of the Thunderbirds," the Air Force's premiere air demonstration squadron.

The airfield that now bears General Creech's name was originally built by the Army in the early 1940s to support the war effort during World War II. A month after the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, the Army began building a training camp near the community of Indian Springs, Nev. By the end of 1942, the service had contracted for regular facilities and by the end of February 1943 the base was being used as a divert field and base for air-to-air gunnery training. The little post was in service supporting B-17s and T-6s until March 1945 when the Army put the base in stand-by status, maintained by a small housekeeping staff. When Las Vegas Army Air Field inactivated in January 1947, Indian Springs also closed down. The base re-opened in January 1948 and two years later received its first permanently assigned Air Force unit. In August 1951, the base became an auxiliary field and in July 1952 transferred from Air Training Command to the Air Research and Development Command, reporting to the Air Force Special Weapons Center in Albuquerque, N.M.

In 1961, the base transferred to the Tactical Air Command. It officially became Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field during the 1980s. Following the inactivation of Tactical Air Command in 1992, the base became a component of Air Combat Command.

The 432nd Wing stood up at Creech AFB May 1, 2007. One year later, the 432nd Wing also became an Air Expeditionary Wing due to the increasing requirement for RPA support to overseas contingency operations.

Major Units
The 432nd Wing and 432nd Air Expeditionary Wing "Hunters" consist of combat-ready Airmen who fly MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Reaper remotely piloted aircraft in direct support to the joint forces war fighter. The RPA systems provide real-time intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and precision attack against fixed and time-critical targets. The "Hunters" also conduct RPA initial qualification training for aircrew, intelligence, weather, and maintenance personnel. The wing oversees operations of the 432nd Operations Group, 432nd Maintenance Group, 732nd OG, 11th Reconnaissance Squadron, 15th RS, 17th RS, 18th RS, 20th RS, 22nd RS, 30th RS, 42nd Attack Squadron, 867th RS, 432nd Operations Support Squadron, 432nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 432nd Maintenance Squadron, and 432nd Aircraft Communications Maintenance Squadron. Various Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve units also support the wing's missions.

Creech is also home to the 799th Air Base Group "Diamondbacks," which consists of the 799th Air Base Squadron, 799th Security Forces Squadron, and the 99th Ground Combat Training Squadron. These squadrons provide critical support functions including base security, civil engineer capabilities, force support, logistics readiness, communications, and medical support.


432nd Wing, 432nd Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs
DSN: 384-1618
Commercial: (702) 404-1618






 Inside Creech AFB

ima cornerSearch

ima corner

 




Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act